Friday, March 7, 2008

Salute to Kauai Farmers


One of the best parts of running a fruit stand is being able to do business with the local farmers. There are some trials and tribulations but overall it is a very positive experience. In this post I'd like to salute Yoshiko and Nobu Tokashiki. 
Longtime farmers in Kapahi, Nobu has passed away but Yoshiko still farms and provides fruit and flowers to her neighbors and friends. When we first started planting banana in 1980 we got keikis from the Tokashikis. For years after we first started our stand I would make the weekly drive and pick up banana, papaya and pineapple . My daughter would be in the car seat and always smile when we pulled in the driveway because Yoshiko would have some treat, Okinawan doughnuts, mochi candy or some goody for her (and me) to eat. This photo I took of them in their pineapple fields around 1989.

No comments: